The Intruder Fly Pattern - no that isn't correct. The Intruder Fly originally tied by Jerry French, and Ed Ward, was a concept pattern. The concept was to tie a large fly pattern with a small trailing hook. Before the Intruder, large flies were tied on large hooks. These hooks damaged the Steelhead for release - they were tied on large ott (1/0, 2/0 3/0…) hooks that were cutter hooks that kept slicing into the fish's mouth.
Second part of the concept was to tie a fly with two stations - a rear and forward station. This allowed a large fly to cast easier.
Since the 1990's this fly has continued to morph. The reason for this is in the word Intruder which refers to two things:
1. The fly concept that Jerry French and Ed Ward developed.
2. An Intruder is something that anadromous fish respond to - other small fish in their redds hanging around to eat their eggs.
Large flies tied in an Intruder Style can also represent food like squid and shrimp that steelhead and Salmon have foraged on in the ocean.
Intruder Flies for Steelhead, Salmon, and Sea Run Browns
What does an Intruder suggest or represent to a Steelhead?
- Automatic Condition Feeding Response - representation of a squid, prawn or fish.
- Curiosity Response – Large 3 to 6 inch Intruders are large animated attractors that instigate Steelhead, Salmon. And sea run Browns into striking.
- Survival Competition Response – An Intruder may eat eggs, and the survival response is to remove they prey.
- Territorial Competition Response – when Steelhead come into a holding area they often setup a territory. When an Intruder swings through their area and bite response is initiated.
- Anger Response – an Intruder has disturbed the peace, a Steelhead’s space.
What to Look for in an Intruder:
1. Size (bigger is often better) This depends on water clarity and water temperature. Clear water = smaller; Cold water = larger.
2. Shape, profile and outline (what does the fly look like when it is wet and swinging through the current.
3. Color - Steelhead are color-conscious to the extreme.
4. Movement – does the fly have movement in the water, not the air.
5. Casting ability – can you cast the big Intruder. Big flies = big rods, and heavier sink tips. Or adjust your cast. You can Perry Poke Spey Cast a big Intruder if you are having trouble.
6. Durability – will they fly stand up to casting a fishing punishment.
Stinger-style Hybrid Intruder Flies
Take a look at Moal Leeches for Intruder Type Flies. Larger size Moal Leeches are Intruders, and their snaky movement profile move Steelhead to the take. Top Winter Moal Leeches (Click Here)
Jerry's newest intruder design utilizing the Ultra Rig. The Ultra Rig is a new system to rig shank flies with a trailing hook. The Ultra Rig is made with 50 pound Spider Wire, Ultra Tubing and a size 2 AquaTalon hook. This rigging system eliminates the use of wire as a trailing loop. The Ultra Rig system allows the angler to change out the hook without damaging the fly or the trailing loop. The only commercially tied fly with this rigging system. In addition to the rigging system, this intruder is tied using an Aqua Flies Shank, Aqua Flies Intruder Eyes and the Aqua Flies Fake Jungle Cock.
Jerry French Signature Flies
Jerry French is well recognized amongst the steelhead spey community. When speaking of Skagit-style casting systems and tying of intruder type flies, Jerry and his friends Ed Ward and Scott Howell are at the forefront of modern Northwest fly fishing for steelhead. These flies are engineered to fish. Utilizing Jerry's innovative techniques of composite loops and modern materials, we have tied a fly that the master himself will fish.
See More Ultra Intruder Flies by Jerry (Click Here)
This pattern came from Grabflies "King Intruder Leech, Red" but I have only fished it for Winter Steelhead. In off color rivers like the Hoh river on the Olympic Peninsula. My first try with this fly I caught two Steelhead and no other flies were producing any results. I used a four inch King Intruder Leech, Pink on the Hoh, but clearer water rivers I use the three inch size.
Fly is tied using black cross cut rabbit strip tied on braid line like a Moal Leech, then lots of Rhea spun on, followed by Flashabou, and Guinea and a bead cone. The Black Rabbit core gives this fly lots of silhouette and animates the flashabou.
4 inch | Size 2 Owner Hook. Only six left in stock - I'm out of stock on long Pink Rhea, so this is the last.
The Sputnik Tube Intruder is a blend of traditional Intruder styling and European highlights. A fusion of natural and synthetic materials; Finn Raccoon, Arctic Fox, Ostrich, Predator Wrap and Marabou add to this flies swimming action. The Finn Raccoon wing is reminiscent of Scandi styles. Two stations similar to Intruders. A collar weight behind the front station helps to get the fly down. The Sputnik has great movement and a profile in the water that is irresistible to fish.